Monday 5 September 2011

Dancing Queen

Some say this dinner is dancing. Some say it is drunk. Some probably call it something else entirely. All I say is that is moist and delicious.

Ok, I guess I have adopted one of the popular names for my dish too. And since I think I'm pretty fun, I chose the most fun name -- Dancing Chickens!

I know this is not an original recipe because I grew up with it and so did everyone else I know. But using beer and beer cans to make the chicken's dance does make this dish very delicious.

Plus, the recipes I'll be showing you over the next week are original and use up the leftovers in fresh new ways.

However, before we get to the leftover recipes, here are the stars of today-- Dancing Chickens!


2 small chickens, I used about 1.5 kg and these were the biggest I will ever use. I'd say go for something a little smaller if possible.

1 can of beer, half for you and a quarter for each chicken

Pinch of salt, pepper, and paprika

1. Season your chickens with salt, pepper, and paprika and position them on top of two cans containing about a quarter of a full can a beer. Place the can up the chicken's large opening, so that their legs with dangle toward the ground as if they are dancing.

You can use beer cans like I did, or you can learn from my mistakes and choose more sturdy cans so you don't have to wrestle with the birds while they are tipping over on the hot grill... Next time I'll be using soup cans for sure!

2. Remove the upper grill on your BBQ so there is enough room for both chickens to dance upright and place the cans on the grill.

3. Turn the grill on to medium heat and let the grill do it's job for an hour or so, depending on the size of your Dancing Chickens. All you have to do is keep an eye on dinner to make sure the birds don't fall over and, because there is skin on the birds, watch for little flame ups.

If the bird falls over, use big tongs to get it upright again. And if little flame ups occur, use a small water spray bottle of water to put out the flames.

And if the flare ups are more persistent, except fate and have comfort knowing that the birds will take less time to cook, there won't be any crispy skin to tempt you, and the meat will still taste moist and delicious despite the burnt skin.

As you can see, there are no after shots of the chicken here. So I think you can figure out that I took a little comfort knowing what would happen if there were flare ups on my grill. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment