Thursday 18 September 2014

Salad Toppers

Have you ever tried corn nuts? I haven't until now and I am surprised to say that I like them. They look a little like the corn I used to buy from vending machines at farms to feed to the animals, but they taste like crunchy, salty, bites of goodness. And they are great as salad toppers!

The best thing I found about corn nuts is that they taste great on top of any salad I've tried so far. But I have to say that the salad I'm sharing today is pretty fantastic when topped with corn nuts.  Maybe it's the vinegary bite of the pickled beets with the salty corn nuts, creamy avocado, earthy lentils, and sharp green onions, but I think it's a great pairing!

Creamy, Crunchy, and Pickled Salad - serves 4

4 cups of Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup of green lentils, cooked
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup feta, crumbled or cubed
2 avocados, cubed
1/2 cup pickled beets, sliced
3/4 cup corn nuts, for garnish

1. Toss together the cabbage, lentils, green onions, feta, and avocados.

2. Scoop salad into bowls and top with handfuls of pickled beets and corn nuts. Dig in!


No comments:

Post a Comment