Monday 28 July 2014

Flavour Explosion

Whenever I bite into a tart dessert, I feel happy. Lemon, lime and rhubarb are pretty much heaven to me. I just love the feeling of wanting more and light, bright, tart, fresh flavours always seem to make me want more.

This summer I've made a lot of rhubarb desserts, but this time I wanted something a little extra rhubarby. I wanted a rhubarb cake with a rhubarb sauce. I wanted it all. And since I had plenty of rhubarb, I could it all to myself as a little treat.

Ready for flavour explosion? Read on and discover a cake and sauce recipe that unlocks my heart.


Rhubarb Coffee Cake with Rhubarb Sauce - serves 6-8

Cake ingredients

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup yogurt
1 cup finely chopped fresh rhubarb

Sauce ingredients 

1 cup chopped fresh rhubarb 
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. 

2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt. Fold in rhubarb.

3. Pour batter into a loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the  comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. 

4. While cake is baking, make your sauce. Add your rhubarb, sugar, and water to a small pot. Simmer mixture until rhubarb is soft and then purée with an immersion blender until smooth. Cool in the fridge to allow sauce to thicken. 

5. Serve the Rhubarb Coffee Cake with the Rhubarb Sauce and coffee. Enjoy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment