Wednesday 4 June 2014

Chocolate and Cherry

Sometimes I wonder what I like more, chocolate or cherry. Chocolate is rich and I usually get happy with just one or two little pieces, but cherries are healthy so it's ok to eat a big bowl of them. It's a hard call to make what option I should choose.

Luckily today's post combines the best of both worlds. That's right, the shortbread recipe I am sharing today is full of chocolate and cherries. No more deciding which option I'll get to enjoy because I get both in one deliciously easy to whip up cookie.

And can you imagine these shortbreads as ice cream sandwiches? I'm drooling just thinking about it!


Chocolate Cherry Shortbreads - make 12-18 cookies

3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling cookie dough in
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a tray with parchment paper.

2. Cream together the butter and sugar and then stir in the flour, salt, and cocoa.

3. Once the dough is all one consistency, stir in the cherries and chocolate chips.

4. Roll dough into small balls and roll the balls in the additional sugar. Flatten the balls onto the cookie sheet and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are just set.

5. Let the cookies cool on the trays for a few minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack.

I bought my dried cherries at the Bulk Barn and they were fairly expensive. For a less expensive option, you could try using dried cranberries instead of the cherries. I bet they'd make a delicious alternative!

No comments:

Post a Comment