Friday 13 June 2014

Banana Boat Fun #SummerWithChex

Summer is finally here and, for me, it wouldn't be complete without plans for camping. And camping wouldn't be complete without plans for lots and lots of s'mores overflowing with marshmallows and chocolate.

When we went camping last year, I somehow managed to forget graham crackers and I didn't remember until I was sorting through our food to get ready for dinner. Luckily I am pretty resourceful (plus I always seem to pack enough food for an army) and figured out a new dessert to make our camping treat complete. 

So what did I do? I just took some of the Chex cereal and a few of the bananas I had planned for a breakfast and created delicious, Banana Boats. I love that Chex is gluten free and a little healthier than graham crackers, so this year, I am not sure if I will even bother to add graham crackers to my shopping list for camping. My Banana Boats were that good.


Banana Boats - makes 2

2 medium sized ripe bananas 
Chocolate chips, to taste 
Mini marshmallows, to taste 
Chex cereal, to taste 
Salt, to taste

1. Make a campfire and ensure there are hot coals ready to warm your Banana Boats. 

2. Slice both bananas lengthwise, from end to end, and place on a square of foil. 

3. Stuff the bananas full of chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and Chex cereal. Use as much as you can fit in the bananas or however much you like. Sprinkle with a little salt. 

4. Wrap your stuffed bananas in the foil and place near the campfire to warm the chocolate and marshmallows. 

5. After the banana us warmed through, open up the foil and dig in with a spoon. You may want to sprinkle a little more Chex cereal on top for a little extra crunch too!

This dessert also works well if it's baked in the oven. This way it's also the perfect snack for rainy days when you're tenting in the living room. :)

“Disclosure: I am part of the Summer With Chex Blogger Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”


No comments:

Post a Comment