Monday 5 May 2014

Pie for Breakfast

I have to say that pie for breakfast is one of the best things in the world. And when it's not really pie, but a healthy yogurt and fruit parfait that makes you think you're eating pie, well that must be the very best thing in the world!

When I first saw Oh She Glows recipe for Sugar Free Apple Pie Chia Jam Breakfast Parfait I thought that it sounded good but a wee bit too healthy for me. I can handle vegan or sugar free, but I don't think I am interested in both.

So I just used that recipe for inspiration and made my own version. My version isn't vegan or sugar free, but it's still healthy - especially compared with the alternative of pie for breakfast!


Apple Pie and Chia Pudding Parfait - serves 2-4

Apple Jam

3 large apples, peeled and diced
3/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of brown sugar, optional

Chia Pudding

1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup plain yogurt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 pinch of salt

Sliced almonds, for a topper

1. Start by making your apple jam. Add all the apple jam ingredient to a saucepan in the stove at medium heat and cook until apples and soft, about 15 minutes. Stir apples a few times during the cooking process. When cooked, remove from heat and mash with a potato masher to thicken. Leave at least half of the apples in large chunks for texture. Place in the fridge overnight.

2. While your apple jam is cooking, make your chia pudding. Whisk together the milk, yogurt, brown sugar, and salt. Then stir in the chia and oatmeal. Let the mixture sit in the counter for about 30 minutes, stir again, and then leave in the fridge overnight.

3. In the morning, layer your parfaits. Spoon some chia pudding in a mason jar or dish, top with apple jam, repeat until containers are full. Top with some sliced almonds and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment