Wednesday 16 April 2014

The Spice is Right

I love eating Indian food, but I seem to shy away from making it often because the flavours are so big and I just don't give my dishes as much punch as the restaurants do. Today, all that changes. Today, I vow to add "the punch".

To me "the punch" is spice. I don't mean hot peppers and that mouth burning feeling. I mean cumin, turmeric, and coriander. Indian food just isn't complete with enough spicy flavour to knock your socks off and today's dish has that spicy flavour. I adapted a great recipe from Vegan Richa and pumped up the flavours a bit to get exactly what I was looking for.

I think the spice is right in these Aloo Gobi Wraps, do you?

Aloo Gobi Wraps - serves 4-6

Hummus 

1 1/2 cups red lentils 
2 tomatoes, chopped
3 cups of water 
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt, to taste 


Aloo Gobi

1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
1 large or 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup peas

Wraps

Pickled red onion
Tortilla wraps
Cilantro

1. Start by making your hummus. Add lentils, water, and tomatoes to a pot at medium heat. Cook about 15 minutes and then add in cumin and salt. Mash mixture and set aside.

2. Next, sauté the cauliflower, potatoes, and oil until potatoes are soft. Add spices and stir to combine.  Stir in peas and let warm. Set aside.

3. Layer up your tortillas. Start with a healthy smear of hummus, followed by pickled red onions and cilantro, finish with a big scoop of aloo gobi and wrap up your wrap.

I know this dish might not sound like something amazing on the first read through, but it sure tastes like a treat after just one bite. I think it's a perfect combination of earthy hummus, bright pickled onions and cilantro, and spicy aloo gobi. I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment