Tuesday 29 April 2014

Ch-Ch-Ch Chia!

I had more than one chia pet growing up and when I first heard that people were eating chia seeds, I just couldn't imagine why. Chia pets were a fun things to play with but I was always told to not play with my food, so I was going to think about eating chia seeds.

Now I wish I started eating chia sooner because I love the stuff. I love chia so much that I am dedicating this whole week on Delish in a Dish to chia seeds. I've got a few fun recipes planned, but today is all about my Chia Salad Dressing.

If my Chia Salad Dressing recipe is reminiscent of the popular creamy poppy seeds dressings, it's because that's where the idea for this recipe came from. I love poppy seed dressings but know that there are way more health benefits in chia seeds so I decided to swap the seeds and I loved the end product.

Ready for my recipe? Read on to make it yourself!

Chia Salad Dressing - makes about 3/4 cup of dressing 

1/3 cup of olive oil 
1/3 cup of plain yogurt 
2 teaspoons of chia seeds 
1 tablespoon of apple jam (or whatever jam you'd like to use)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice 
1/2 teaspoon of salt 

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. 

2. Let dressing stand for about 10 minutes so that they chia seeds can absorb some of the liquid in the dressing. Then pour onto your salad and enjoy!

I think this dressing would be great with any salad you would use a poppy seed dressing for, but if you're looking for a new recipe to use it with, stay tuned because I have a great one up my sleeve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment