Tuesday 21 January 2014

Veggie and Potato Pie

When I was small, my mom actually had one of those dinner bells. I think it was more for decoration than for practicality, but she still rang it from time to time to get us home for dinner. I'm not sure why, but today's recipe reminds me about that dinner bell.

I think I'm reminded about the dinner bell because today's recipe is a homey kind of dish. It's a vegetarian pie topped with mashed potatoes and full of a delicious vegetarian gravy. I can almost picture my mom making this dish for me. 

Read in for my recipe for my Veggie and Potato Pie recipe.

Veggie and Potato Pie - serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
1 leek, chopped (white and green parts only)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cups of sugar snap peas, halved
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup of veggie stock
3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons each of butter and cream cheese
3 tablespoons milk
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Start by boiling your potatoes in well salted water until tender.

2. When the potatoes are finished cooking, drain and mash them. Add two tablespoons of butter, the cream cheese, and milk and season to astute with salt and pepper. Set aside.

3. While potatoes are cooking, sauté the mushrooms, leek, garlic, and carrots in the oil at medium low heat for about 5-10 minutes or until the veggies start to soften.

4. When the veggies are softened, add the snap peas and the remaining two tablespoons of butter. When the butter has melted, sprinkle the veggies with the flour and pour in the veggie stock. Bring the mixture to a boil to allow the gravy to thicken.

5. Divide the veggies and gravy among four oven safe bowls and top with generous scoops of potatoes. Use the back of a spoon to spread the potatoes over top of the veggies and put the bowls under the broiler to allow the potatoes to crisp, if desired.

6. Let the dish cool slightly band enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment