Saturday 24 August 2013

Beet It, Stains

I love eating beets. They can be sweet, earthy, or pickled and they add a beautiful rich hue to my plates. But I don't love the stains they leave when one when accidentally falls off my fork, tumbles down my blouse, and lands on my pants. In fact, I hate beet stains.

But I've learned how best to go about beating beet stains, and before I share one of the best beet salad recipes I've ever had with you, I'm going to share a couple of tips about getting rid of beet stains.

I've tried two methods and they've both worked pretty well. The first method sounds a little crazy, but I use it if I'm out of my favourite stain remover. Just soak a piece of bread in cold water and use it to sponge away the beet stains, then wash the clothes as usual. My second method is to run the fabric under cold water right away, pretreat the stain with my favourite stain remover, and then wash as usual. I'm always interested in learning about new ways to get rid of stains, so if you have other tested ideas, I'd love to hear about them.


I'm going to post my tips about getting rid of beet stains on Resolve's new Resolve Tip Exchange website. It's a great new site to learn about getting rid of stains, all from readers like you and me!

One of the ways that Resolve is encouraging us to enter tips is by offering 12 weekly prizes of $250 and a grand prize of $5000! Each week we can submit a tip to earn a ballot in the draw for the prizes and that's sure got me thinking of tips I'd like to share!

So far I've sent in tips for removing butter and red wine from clothes, but you'll have to head over to Resolve Tip Exchange to find out those tips! For now, since you don't have to worry about permanently staining your clothes from beets, read on for an amazingly tasty Beet and Carrot Salad recipe!

Beet and Carrot Salad - serves 4 

(Adapted from Clean Eating)

4 medium beets, peeled and chopped
4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced into half circles
Oil, for spraying veggies 
1/2 cup steeped black tea
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon oil 
1/2 teaspoon chili powder 
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons vinegar 
4 cups of arugula 
1/2 cup of blue cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a cookie sheet with foil. Place beets on one side of the foil and carrots and onions on the other side. Spray with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender. 

2. While the veggies are roasting combine the dressing ingredients. Whisk together tea, honey, oil, chili powder, mustard, and vinegar. Set aside. 

3. While veggies are finished cooking, gently toss them with the dressing. Then lay a bed of arugula on each plate and top with a scoop of the veggie and dressing mixture. Finish with a handful of crumbled blue cheese and enjoy! 

Disclosure: I am part of the Resolve® Tip Exchange Blogger Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”

No comments:

Post a Comment