Tuesday 14 May 2013

Rainbow of Delights

I love noshing on colourful food because it looks so beautiful. And I love serving colourful food to my friends because it makes everyone smile and smiling is important when you want to enjoy what you're eating. 

Today's post might be simple to make, but it's also simply beautiful if you ask me. And I love to spoon up some of this puréed carrot sauce, inspired by a recipe from Martha Stewart's Meatless, and pour it into my summer rolls. Delish!

Summer Rolls and Carrot Sauce - serves 4 as a light appetizer

1 beet, peeled and julienned
1 carrot, peeled and julienned
1 yellow pepper, julienned 
1/2 cups spinach, chopped
12 rice paper wrappers
1 carrot, peeling and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Fill a dish, I use a pie plate, with warm water. Soak one rice paper wrapper in the water until soft, about 20-30 seconds, and then place a few slivers of beet, carrot, pepper, and spinach in the middle. Roll tightly, fold up ends, and cut in half with a sharp knife. Repeat until wrapper and / or veggies are used up.

2. Purée your sauce. Purée carrot in a food processor until fine. Add garlic, onion, oils, lemon juice, and water. Pulse again to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Serve, spoon sauce into summer rolls, and enjoy!

I think this is a perfect dish for a summer party before a BBQ. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment