Monday 20 May 2013

Cheese Please!

I love food, but some combinations of food don't make my stomach rumble with excitement. 

Pears and Brie - I love that combination and I think many people would agree, but Halloumi and mango? I'm not even really sure what Halloumi is other than a weird cheese that can be grilled or fried, but I didn't think it sounded delicious until I tried it. Now I don't know how I lived without it and I cannot wait for the next time I get to have a taste them together. 

This recipe comes from the complimentary All You Need is Cheese magazine and I am so happy I read this edition. 

Mango and Halloumi Kabobs - makes 6 kabobs 

1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 mango, cubed and divided with the largest 6 pieces reserved for the kabobs 
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 pinch red pepper flakes 
1 pinch paprika 
1 red pepper, cut into 12 even pieces 
1 onion, cut into 12 even pieces 
1 zucchini, cut into 12 even rounds 
8 oz Halloumi, cut into 12 even cubes 

1. Start by making your sauce and this sauce makes this dish, so please don't use a purchased jar of sauce instead. Melt the butter in a small pan on low heat. Brown the garlic and cook the half of the mango that's not reserved for the kabobs. 

2. When garlic is browned, but not smoking, add the water, sugar, red pepper flakes, and paprika. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. 

3. Skewer kabobs with zucchini, cheese, onion, and pepper. 

4. Purée mango sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.  

5. Generously brush kabobs with mango sauce and barbecue until grill marks appear and veggies are warmed and softened. 

6. Serve with remaining sauce and enjoy! 

For anyone who hasn't tried Halloumi before, it's a bit like cheese curds because its a little squeaky, doesn't melt into liquid, and despite all that it tastes great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment