Friday 12 April 2013

Throw Back

Today's post is not really a re-post, it's most of a what else can do with an old favourite post. 

I love my basic Thai curry recipe. It's something I make about even two weeks and considering how many different types of recipes I like to cook, that's practically every night! 

But today's recipe doesn't have any chicken in it. Instead it has tofu in it. And truth be known, I don't really like tofu. At least I didn't think I did. 

After Luke decided he didn't want to eat much meat, I wanted to be supportive and got a ton of library books out on vegetarian cooking. Some of the cookbooks had mainly macaroni and cheese and other heavy foods, but others had tips of for making veggie food sing. 

One of the best tips I learned was that tofu is like a sponge and take on whatever flavours you put with it. That's probably why it's doesn't taste so delicious alone! The other thing I didn't like about tofu was the texture. I found the firm variety too squishy. 

Today's recipe helps to make tofu flavourful and makes it crispy too. Read on for the recipe! 

Tofu Croutons for Thai Curry - serves 4

1 block of firm tofu, cut into very small pieces - about 3/4 centimetre square
Salt, pepper, and olive oil
1 recipe Thai Turkey Curry - minus the turkey!
Rice or couscous, for serving

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

2. Toss tofu cubes with salt, pepper, and olive oil and place in an even layer on a cookie sheet. No Need to line the cookie sheet with anything. 

3. Bake for about 20 - 30 minutes, shaking tray and pushing cubes around with a wooden spoon about half way through the cooking process. Tofu will be done when the cubes turn brown and crispy on all sides. 

4. Toss tofu in curry and serve with rice or couscous. Enjoy!

I think these croutons would be amazing on a salad. I'm going to try that soon and let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment