Thursday 11 October 2012

Dessert into Dinner

Every year I have to get a little more creative to find ways to make my leftover turkey taste great and this year I've come up with a winner that's going to find it's way into my oven for years to come. 

I always make turkey pies, but I wasn't feeling like eating too much pastry after all the pumpkin pie I inhaled recently, so I decided to pull out a recipe for cobbler I used a few months ago. At first I thought that I was crazy thinking I could make a turkey pie with my sweet dessert topping. But then I thought about adding cheese to cobbler topping and of course I wouldn't use the sugary glaze, so why wouldn't it work? 

This dinner was a huge success! And it's is nothing like a dessert in way other than being delicious!

Curried Turkey Pie with Cheddar Biscuits - serves 6 - 8


1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 /4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup buttermilk (or regular milk with a touch of lemon juice added instead)
1/2 cup of MacLaren's Imperial Old Age Cheddar, crumbled
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 large onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups turkey, chopped
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon curry paste 
Salt and pepper to taste 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

2. Make your curry sauce. Add the 1/4 cup butter to a pot on the stove at medium heat and let it melt. Stir in the 1/4 cup flour until a paste forms. Gradually whisk in the 2 cups milk followed by the curry paste. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

3. Combine turkey, onion, peas, and corn in a large baking dish. I use a lasagna pan. Pour the curry sauce over top and stir to combine. Set aside. 

4. In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in the 1/4 cup butter until the dough looks like bread crumbs then add in the buttermilk and crumbled cheese. 

5. Knead the dough on a lightly floured counter and cut into 9-12 even biscuits. Press each biscuit onto of the curried turkey mixture in the baking dish. 

6. Bake the dish for about 40-50 minutes or until the biscuits turn slightly golden. 

7. Scoop out a biscuit or two and some of the curried turkey mixture and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment