Friday 10 August 2012

Fillet-O-Fish

I don't know how to fillet a fish and I am not really interested in learning either. It looks a little too messy and complicated so I'll happily spend a few more dollars to buy my fish prepared for me. 

I am interested in learning about the difference between a fillet and steak of fish. Steaks are pieces of fish that are cut perpendicular to the backbone of the fish and they generally have bones in them. Fillets are pieces of fish that have been cut (of filleted) away from the backbone and they generally don't have bones in them. 

Knowing that shows me that I am even more picky about my fish than I thought, because I choose to only cook with fillets of fish. I hate finding fish bones in my food!

Here's a great sandwich recipe for my fellow fillet-o-fish lovers. It's easy to make, easy to eat, and tastes delicious (if you love fish)!


Toasted Salmon Sandwich with Garlic Spinach and Wasabi Mayo - makes four sandwiches
8 slices of bread
4 fillets of salmon, skin removed
2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1-2 teaspoons of wasabi paste (depending on taste)
4 cloves of minced garlic
4 cups of fresh baby spinach
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan at medium heat and place all four fillets of salmon in the pan to cook. Season salmon with salt and pepper to allow fish to cook through, about 8-10 minutes. 

2. Next, prepare the mayonnaise by combining the mayonnaise with the wasabi in a small bowl. Add more mayonnaise for a milder flavour or more wasabi for a stronger flavour. Set aside. 

3. When salmon is fully cooked, remove fillets from the pan and add remaining olive oil and garlic. Cook garlic for about 30 seconds and then add the spinach. Saute the spinach until it begins to wilt, about two minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

4. While the spinach is cooking, toast the bread and spread a little garlic mayo on four of the pieces of toast. 

5. When the spinach is finished cooking, divide it among the remaining four pieces of toast and top each piece of spinach covered toast with a fillet of fish. Top the fish with the wasabi mayonnaise covered toast and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment