Saturday 18 February 2012

Angry Lobster

By the title of this post you may think I am mad at a lobster or maybe just mad and general and the colour of a lobster. But I'm actually very happy. 

I'm happy because I'm going to tell you about my birthday dinner and I am always happy on my birthday. 

I love to have a day that's all about me. A day that I can relax, drink tea, go shopping, and eat all the delicious treats I can think of. I can read magazines, watch a movie, put my feet up, and I get phone calls filled with love all day long. 

It may come to a shock to you, but the magazines I love to read most are cooking magazines. I know, it's a shocker. And I love reading about famous chefs and trying to recreate or put a spin on their recipes. 

One recipe that has always caught my eye was one of David Burke's recipes- none other than his Angry Lobster. All of David Burke's recipes have unique and creative presentations, but this one is the most memorable to me. He uses a round frog (a spiky holder for flower designs) and impales lemon wedges and cooked lobster on it.

My version of Angry Lobster isn't quite so angry, but it was delicious. And probably a lot easier to make too!


Angry Lobster Risotto

1/2 of a medium onion, finely minced
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 1/2 cups of arborio rice
3 cups of chicken stock, homemade or purchased (plus extra water if needed)
1/4 cup of old Gouda cheese, grated (or Parmesan if you can't find old Gouda)
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 medium lobsters
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Boil a large pot of well salted water and cook your lobsters. This will take about 15 minutes, but check for doneness with one of the smaller legs.

2. While the lobsters are cooking, start your risotto. Sweat the onion and garlic in olive oil in a medium pot, about 5 minutes.

3. Next add the rice and stir to combine. Begin adding the stock, just a little at a time so that the rice can start to soak it up. Stir occasionally so the risotto doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.

4. When the rice has soaked up all the stock, check for doneness. If the rice is still too crunchy, add a little water to finish the cooking process. Cooking the rice will take about 30 minutes.

5. While the rice is cooking, cool the lobsters and take the meat out. Save small pieces to stir into the rice for flavour and keep the large pieces to place on top of the bowls.

6. When the rice cooked, stir in the Gouda, small pieces of lobster, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

7. Serve the risotto in bowls and top everything with the large pieces of lobster (as well as a few small legs for an angry look) and serve.

Now the only thing you'll be angry about is not having more when it's all gone.

Stay tuned to hear more about cooking and taking meat out of a whole lobster. Luke is on his way back to Nova Scotia in a few weeks and I am sure he'll bring back a few lobbies so I can have a lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment