Friday 8 July 2011

Sail Boat Supper

Luke is going to Vancouver this weekend to take part in a sailing competition, but due to my sea sickness, I have decided to remain at home.

I don't hate boats. I actually love to be on a boat for a short time if it's a clear calm day. Pack me a picnic and plenty of comfy warm clothes and I'm set! That being said, zipping from Point A to Point B for lunch is one thing.

Boating across from Vancouver Island to Vancouver while dragging a sail boat, bobbing around in the waves, and then sleeping on the boat for two nights? That's definitely not the same, and I know that I'd be an absolute, throwing up wreck.

But since Luke loves boats and was really excited for the races, of course he had to go.

So instead of sailing, I'm making a sailing inspired supper to enjoy with both my feet on the ground.

Really, I think I would enjoy almost anything with both my feet on the ground. But I think this Asian dish would be fun and fresh whatever the occasion.


Thai Lettuce Sailboat Wraps

10 leaves of Romaine lettuce, washed and dried
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
2 medium carrots, diced
2 medium stalks of celery, diced
1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 cups of bean sprouts
2 cups of cooked chicken, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/4 each of hoisin sauce and Thai sweet chili sauce, for dipping or pouring on top of the finished wraps



1. Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large frying pan and cook onions and garlic until they begin to sweat.

2. Add ginger, carrots, and celery and cook until vegetables get soft.

3. Add fish sauce, chicken, and bean sprouts and warm.


4. Mix together hoisin and Thai sweet chili sauce.

5. Scoop some of the chicken mixture into a leaf of Romaine and top with a little of the hoisin and Thai sweet chili sauce.

6. Enjoy!


These Thai Lettuce Sailboat Wraps are not the typical lettuce wrap.

Normally lettuce wraps use iceberg lettuce because it's so much easier to roll wraps up, but I like the extra crunch Romaine brings to the table and they look a lot more like sail boats this way too!

No comments:

Post a Comment