Friday 15 July 2011

Lemon-Aid

I have been an ambitious person for as long as I can remember. I used to take cans of lemonade concentrate and mix them up with water to sell to people on the street.

I was so important that I also took bags of cookies to sell and also didn't wash the glasses when I was done.

Nope, instead I counted up my profits and squirrelled them away for a rainy day.

Today I don't sell lemonade on the street to my neighbours, but I still think I am ambitious--- at least in the kitchen.

It's hard to be completely original when cooking, but I thought when I came up with this recipe that I was original. It turns out that there are dishes similar to it all over the place, but I've never had one and this dish is original to me.

Lemon definitely helps make the dish pop with a freshness I've rarely tasted in a pasta dish.

Curious yet? Read on and you'll find out the secrets to the dish!



Creamy Lemon Pasta

1/2 box of spaghetti
1/4 cup butter
1/4 flour
2 cups chicken broth, homemade or store bought
1 cup milk
1 lemon, juiced and zested
2 cups shrimp, cooked and peeled
1 cup Enoki mushrooms
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon fresh herbs, finely chopped
2 teaspoons butter, melted
Pinch of salt and pepper

1. Put pasta on to boil.

2. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a medium pot. When melted and beginning to bubble and turn a shade darker, add in flour and mix to form a paste. Let bubble a minute longer.

3. Add in 1/2 cup chicken and whisk sauce together. Add more broth and milk, and whisk again until all combined.

4. Add lemon juice to sauce and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.

5. When pasta is almost finished cooking, add mushrooms and shrimp to warm. Drain and keep warm.

6. Combine 2 teaspoons melted butter, lemon zest, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, herbs, and green onions. Mix to form a crumbly crust mixture.

7. Place a scoop of pasta, shrimp, and mushrooms on a plate.



8. Top with some creamy lemon sauce.



9. Sprinkle with lemon zest and bread crumb mixture and enjoy!

Lemon really brought this dinner up a notch! Let me know if you like it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment