I'll let you head over to Rants From My Crazy Kitchen to read my full post, but I'll post my recipe here now. I just can't resist sharing my new delicious cookie with you in as many ways possible!
Lemon Meringue Thumbprints - makes 12 - 15
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 cups softened butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons milk
Lemon curd and meringue ingredients
2 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make your lemon curd and allow egg white to come to room temperature, or use about a cup of purchased lemon curd. Combine egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan. Add lemon juice and zest and stir to combine. Place the saucepan on medium heat and stir until the mixture thickens slightly and will coat the back of a spoon, about 7 minutes. Stir butter into the curd and let cool in the fridge.
3. Make your shortbread cookie. Combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a medium bowl. Pour a few drops of milk into the mixture if the dough is too dry. Set aside.
4. Make your meringue. Beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until they form soft peaks, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat to form stiff glossy peaks, about another 5 minutes. Add corn starch and vinegar and stir to combine. Set aside.
5. Take balls of the dough and press your thumb into each one to for deep wells. Form walls on each side of the cookies to prevent the lemon curd from pouring out while the cookies bake. Fill the holes with lemon curd and dollop a scoop of the meringue on top of each as well. Place cookies on a cookie sheet.
6. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies and the meringue brown. Let the cookies cool and enjoy!