Friday 14 December 2012

Veggie Wreath

After the last twelve days of cookies I think I need a break from desserts. Wait, let me rephrase that. I will never need a break from desserts! 

After the last twelve days of baking cookies, I am glad my freezer is full of them, and now I need a break from baking desserts. I can now just pull out cookies and eat them to my heart's content. 

Today's post is still Christmasy, but it doesn't have even a speck of sugar in it. Instead it's full of red and green veggies and baked to look a bit like a wreath. Ready to make a new Christmas side dish favourite? Read on for the recipe! 

Veggie Wreath - serves four

1 large zucchini, about 2-3 inches thick, cut into thin slices 
3-4 large tomatoes, cut into thin slices
2 large onions, cut into thin slices
1 tablespoon olive oil 
1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
2 teaspoons fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons butter
1 pinch of salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

2. In a frying pan on your stove at medium heat, saute onion in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. 

3. Alternate slices of tomatoes, zucchini, and sauteed onion around a pie plate to form a wreath. If you like, fill the middle of the wreath with leftover slices of tomato, zucchini, and onion. Top with salt and pepper. 

4. In the same pan you cooked your onion in, melt the butter and cook the garlic until it begins to smell delicious. Add the bread crumbs and sage and cook until the bread starts to crisp into small croutons.

5. Sprinkle the casserole dish with the bread crumbs and bake for about 30 minutes or until the veggies reach your desired doneness.

6. Serve and enjoy!

The dish looks more like a wreath if you don't fill the middle, but I had lots of leftover veggies and didn't want them to go to waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment