Tuesday 11 December 2012

Piped Happiness

I thought long and hard about what kind of cookie to make for the ninth day of Christmas and all that came to mind when I thought about eleven pipers piping was cookies decorated with beautiful piped icing. 

But Christmas should be about creating good memories, not painful memories and I hate piping icing onto cookies - it's just too much work! So I decided that piped icing cookies were definitely out. 

When I sent myself back to the drawing board I thought of a great recipe to share, piped meringues! And these meringues are as easy to make as they are delicious to eat too, so I know you'll want to try them. Read on for the recipe!

Piped Peppermint Meringues - makes 30 cookies

2 egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 cup sugar
Red or green decorating sugar, optional

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a few cookie sheets with parchment paper.

2. Beat egg whites until peaks form and then add in peppermint extract followed by the sugar. Beat the mixture again for about 5 minutes or until stiff glossy peaks forms and the mixture feels smooth. If you touch the mixture with your fingers and it feels gritty, keep beating for another couple minutes.

3. Next, spoon meringue mixture into a piping bag with a star shaped or tip fit into it. Pipe small toonie sized meringues onto your parchment lined cookie sheets and sprinkle with decorating sugar.

4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cookies are crisp. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment