You know you love Popeye. He's strong, gets the girl, and it's all due to spinach.
Well... maybe it's not all due to spinach, but I would venture a guess that's it's mostly due to spinach.
So I think you need a spinach filled delight that will make you just like Popeye.
At least in sense that you'll be eating a lot of spinach!
Creamy Spinach Soup
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 tablespoon of Olive Oyl (yes, I went there)
4 cups of chicken stock, homemade or purchased
1 medium potato, diced
1 1/2 packages of frozen spinach, about 500 grams
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large soup pot, cook the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery with the Olive Oyl. Cook until the onion begins to sweat and the carrots begin to soften slightly, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken stock and potato and cook until the potato is cooked, about 15 -20 minutes.
3. Add the frozen spinach and continue to cook until the spinach defrosts and cooks, about 5-10 minutes.
4. Puree with an immersion blender and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Garnish with a healthy dose of Parmesan cheese, because Olive Oyl should have been named Parmesan. It just goes so well with spinach.