Thursday 9 February 2012

Stocking Up

Today I am home sick and all I want is for someone to make me some soup.

Unfortunately, no one is home with me.

But fortunately, I have some homemade chicken stock in my fridge and, after a nap, I think I will have enough energy to pull myself off the sofa and put something together myself.

I always like to have a stock of homemade stock (pun intended) in my fridge or freezer. And making stock is very easy and inexpensive. All you need are poultry bones, water, veggies, and seasoning.

Just make sure you have some on hand before you get sick, or else you might have to reach for a can of condensed stuff that's been around forever.
Simple Poultry Stock

Chicken bones (1 usually use bones from two chickens or one turkey)
Water (enough to cover the bones in a large soup pot)
1 apple, quartered
1 piece of ginger, quartered
1 piece of fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, or anything you like)
2 stalks of celery, cut into chunks
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2 teaspoons salt

*** I use whole apples, celery, and carrots if I need to use up some older fruits and veggies. But if my fruits and veggies look tasty and I feel like a snack instead, I cut the tops, bottoms, and peels off for my soup stock and enjoy a bite. Just remember to add extra tops, bottoms, and peels so you get enough flavour for your stock if you do this!

1. Throw everything in a large soup pot and cover with a lid. If you have a pasta pot with a strainer built in, use that. If not, use a regular large soup pot. You'll just have to pour your stock through a strainer and into a large bowl after it's done.

2. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat on your stove to medium low. Cook for about 3-4 hours.

3. Stir and taste the stock every once and awhile, if you wish. Or just let the flavours cook. When the stock is finished, strain the bones and veggies from the stock and refrigerate the stock overnight to skim the fat.

4. Then next day, the stock should be separated from the fat. The fat should have risen to the top of the stock and the stock should be like the consistency of jelly because you used bones to make the stock. Now, just use a spoon to scrape off all the fat and discard it.

5. You're done. Use the stock to make a soup, risotto, sauce, or anything else your heart desires.

I hope I get energized enough to make some soup today from my stock because just thinking about it is making me hungry!

Check out some of my soup recipes to see some delicious ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment