When you think about tomato sauce, what comes to mind?
If you're thinking of a jar or can of processed sauce, you need to read further. And even if you didn't, keep on reading because this sauce is easy, delicious, and healthy too!
I use jarred sauce when I need it for pizza or a last minute dinner, but I love to make this sauce for pasta if I am able to plan ahead an hour or so.
And if you love roasted garlic and tomatoes, you will too. And let's be honest, who doesn't love roasted garlic and tomatoes?
So let's get cracking with the star of this dish- roasted garlic.
Roasted Garlic and Tomato Pasta
2 heads of garlic
1 large can of whole tomatoes, liquid reserved
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 box of spaghetti or linguini
1 pinch of salt and pepper
2 -3 cups of meatballs (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice the top of the heads of garlic, place them on small pieces of tin foil, and pour a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in the centre of each head of garlic. If a little spills over, that's ok. Wrap up the heads of garlic and place them on a cookie sheet.
3. Place tomatoes (keep the liquid from the can reserved) on the cookie sheet with the head of garlics and drizzle them with the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil.
4. Bake the tomatoes and the garlic for 45-60 minutes or until the garlic is soft. While the garlic and tomatoes are baking, boil water and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Also cook your meatballs at this time if you decide to include meatballs.
5. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and peel the garlic to reveal the golden cloves. Then chop the garlic into smaller pieces.
6. Toss the pasta, garlic, tomatoes, reserved tomato juice, meatballs (if using), and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Enjoy!
The garlic is the true star of this dish and roasted garlic has so many other great uses. Stay tuned for some of my other favourites!