Saturday 17 December 2011

Buttering You Up

Now is the time to start filling your freezer with food for the holidays, at least that's what I am going to do this weekend.

I don't want to be baking, cooking, and cleaning during the real festivities. I want to eating, drinking, and partaking in the festivities!

So, today I'm cleaning out my freezer and making my traditional Christmas Eve lunch butternut squash soup - with a twist. Usually there's no curry, but I thought this year needed a little something extra!

I hope you enjoy it!



Curried Butternut Squash Soup

1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped into a few pieces
2 apples, peeled and quartered
1 large sweet onion, peeled and quartered
1 medium potato, peeled and quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil
4-6 cups of chicken broth, purchased or homemade
1 tablespoon of curry paste
1 pinch of salt and pepper

1. Add the olive oil and onion to a large soup pot and cook on medium heat until the onion begins to sweat.

2. Add the curry paste, squash, potato, 4 cups of broth, and apple. Simmer until potato and squash are tender, about 20 minutes.

3. Puree your soup with an immersion blender and season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. If the consistency of your soup is too thick, add more broth until you're happy. It's hard to measure what a large butternut squash and medium potato is, next time I will try to measure in cups!

Since this soup was pretty simple, here's something else to keep you busy.

Christmas Advent Tree


I know this might look like a homemade and sparsely decorated ornament, but it's actually my Christmas Advent Tree. (It's only December 17 after all!)

1 small tree, I purchased one at my local craft store
24 felt balls, hearts, or whatever shapes you can find
1 larger angel or star
Needle and thread

1. Thread your needle and make hooks on each of the felt ornaments.

2. Hang one decoration a day from December 1 - 25, putting the larger angel or star on top last.

That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment