Friday 2 December 2011

Christmas Cheer

It's my favourite day of the year tomorrow and I am very excited!

You might wonder why I love December 3 so much, but it's not the date that's especially great for me. It's more about what I get do tomorrow and that the first weekend in December has finally arrived!

If you haven't guessed yet, I am heading out to get my Christmas tree tomorrow! And I cannot wait for the smell of pine and the sounds of unwrapping special ornaments to be at my house.

I can hear cheers from some of you, but I know there might be groans from a few others too. And while I do realize that my love for Christmas is much greater than most people's, I won't give up on you groaners until you love the holiday like do.

So, cheerers be happy and groaners get ready to smile because I am here to spread Christmas cheer! And I am going do this in the form a fun craft and a tasty cookie.

First, here is a craft project I worked on last year. It's practically free, environmentally friendly, and great family fun.

Just a small warning before you begin though, your cheeks may hurt from smiling at the end of this craft.
Sea Glass Christmas Tree Ornament

1 small scrap of wood in a triangle shape
Lots of sea glass, mostly green but one brown and yellow piece and a few tiny coloured pieces for decoration
A glue gun and extra glue sticks
Wire for hanging your ornament

1. Start with a walk along your favourite beach accompanied by friends and loved ones with good eyes for spotting sea glass. You wouldn't believe I had a huge bag of sea glass with only a short walk. I made 4 trees last years!

2. When you get home, place the glass pieces on the wood in a pattern until you are happy. 

3. Get out your glue gun and attach the pieces to the wood. 

4. Once the tree is dry, flip the wood over and attach a wire to hang it from the tree. 

And if that didn't get you in the mood, how about a tasty cookie to eat while you decorate your tree? They smell and taste just how Christmas should start!


Rosemary and Lemon Tree Cookies 

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine 
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest from one lemon)
1 tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

2. Cream butter and sugar. Add lemon zest, rosemary, egg, and vanilla. Mix until combined.

3. Add flour and salt and mix until just combined and knead on a lightly floured surface until dough sticks together nicely. 

4. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut into triangles with a knife or use a tree shaped cookie cutter. 

I used a small tree shaped cookie cutter, cut large triangles out with a knife, and also used a small angel shaped cookie cutter. You'll see why I used an angel in a moment!

5. Bake cookies for about 10 - 12 minutes or until the edges turn a slight brown. 

6. Let the cookies cool and enjoy!


I don't think these cookies need any icing because I think they'll be a perfect treat to serve with tea. 

However, Luke didn't know that the large triangles were meant to be trees, so I did whip up a small batch of icing to attach the little angel cookies to the large triangles for decoration. 

You can't miss that they're trees now, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment