Tuesday 4 October 2011

Relish the taste

This post might have the simplest recipe I have ever shared, but it's very fitting for the season and easy is what you need for a stressful day like Thanksgiving.

About five years ago Luke and I celebrated our first Thanksgiving together and I was excited to share my cooking with him.

I knew that this wasn't the first night he would taste something I had prepared, but it was the first holiday meal with a lot of side dishes and treats. It was something special.

So, I cooked and cleaned and got everything ready. Finally it was time to eat and I thought I had done everything well.

Did you see the word thought?

Anyway, it was time to carve the bird and I stuck my knife in, but it wouldn't go through. All I could think of was that the store sold me a breast-less turkey!

But, I didn't let it ruin my night. Despite the bird situation, we ate, laughed, and had a great time.

Then we cleaned up...

That was when I discovered I made a rookie mistake. I had put the turkey in the roaster upside down...

Hey, at least the sandwiches were moist!

Here's a simple recipe to help you through the stress of the holiday. It's not much, but it tastes great and is as easy as can be.


Cranberry Relish - the young, fresh cousin of the common Cranberry Jelly

3 cups whole fresh cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
Zest from one small orange
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon vinegar

1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the relish reaches your desired texture, about 30 seconds - 1 minute.

2. Pour into a jar or a serving dish and let rest in the fridge for at least an hour so that the flavours can meld.

3. Enjoy with turkey and friends.

So... taste is everything... Even though it's easy and there's zero cooking involved, will you make this again?

Did you relish the taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment