Thursday 27 October 2011

Ode to Steve

When I think of my brother and food, I think of two things.

Number 1, he eats a lot. Number 2, he likes Porcupine Meatballs.

I'm sure you've heard of this dinner before but incase you haven't, these are the little meatballs rolled in spiky rice with a gooey cheese centre and a tomato sauce.

My mom got this recipe from a neighbour and it's changed over the years to suit our taste buds, but she claims to have named it herself.

Can you believe that my mom thought that the name was hers? I felt bad when I told her I Googled it and saw that thousands of people before her have named it the same thing.

This doesn't change how yummy they are though!

But before I get carried away with teasing my mom, here's my brother's favourite recipe.


Porcupine Meatballs

1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
1 egg
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 pinch of salt and pepper
24 small chunks of cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups minute rice, uncooked
1 can of condensed tomato soup
2 cups (or so) of tomato juice

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Make your meatballs. Mix ketchup, egg, garlic, ginger, basil, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs in a large bowl. Add beef and combine with your hands.

3. Roll your meatballs. Take a small handful of meat and lay it in your hand. Place a piece of cheese in the middle of your meat and roll it together.


4. Pour rice into one side of a baking dish and roll the meatball in it so that the outside of the meatball is entirely covered. Place rice covered meatball on the other side of the baking dish and repeat until all meat and cheese are used.

If there is a little extra rice left on the bottom of the baking dish, that's ok. I like the rice as much as the meatballs. And more importantly, so does my brother!


5. Pour condensed tomato soup on top of the meatballs in an even layer and then pour tomato juice on top so that all the rice is covered and will cook well.

6. Bake for about 60 minutes and enjoy!



Could you say no to this face? I know my mom couldn't, because we used to eat this supper a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment