Wednesday 5 October 2011

Rooting for the Underdog

If you love reality TV or watching the Olympics like I do, you'll know what I mean when I say I love rooting for the underdog.

It's just not a lot of fun if you know what the outcome's going to be or if the biggest, strongest, or most talented person always wins.

My feelings on that might be because I know that I am not the biggest, strongest, or most talented, but even if I was, I don't think I would want to watch me win all the time.

Unless there was a good prize... But that's a different matter...

So, since I love to root for the underdog, I love to try all kinds of food.

This recipe is actually something I love, but I know that it gets a bad rap and is often thought of as an underdog.



What could it be? Well baked beans of course!

But this time my beans feature root beer in am attempt to sway the judges into a taste.

Root Beer Baked Beans

1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups of dry white kidney beans
1 1/2 cups root beer (if you can get artisanal root beer, you might have more flavourful beans)
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons molasses
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper

1. Soak beans over night in 2 cups of water.

2. Mix all remaining ingredients in your slow cooker and add drained beans.

3. Cook on low heat for 7-8 hours.

That's it!

I don't know about you, but this recipe is making me want a baked bean off with the last recipe I gave you.

Who will win?

We'll have to taste and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment