Monday 10 October 2011

What says Thanksgiving the most?

I guess turkey does, but I'm getting to that soon...

So other than turkey, what says Thanksgiving the most?

Brussel sprouts!

And I am one of those crazy people that have always loved them... But don't ignore me now! They don't have to have that old cabbage taste, not if you don't overcook them. So listen to me and you might end up loving this veggie!

But before I tell you how I cook them now, here's a little story from when I was a child and helping my mom with the grocery shopping.

I was never an ordinary child. I corrected people's grammar, I was tidy, and I loved brussel sprouts. So when I saw the brussel sprouts in the store, I wanted them! I loved them because they were like baby cabbages. And I loved all small things.

I asked for the brussel sprouts and since my mom didn't like them, she wasn't sure what to do... Please me and have to eat the dreaded veg or say no to a child wanting the dreaded veg?

After I whined for a while I got them.  How could you deny a child that kind of "treat"?

But now I live in my own house so we have brussel sprouts I lot more frequently and I am always trying out new recipes to keep my old lady veggie cool.



Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Walnuts

5 slices of bacon
1.5 lbs of brussel sprouts, ends cut off, washed, and the large sprouts halved
1/4 cup of chicken stock
1/4 cup of walnuts

1. Cook your bacon in a pan on medium heat. Remove the bacon from the pan as soon as its cooked and drain the fat off.

2. Add the sprouts and stir so the bits of bacon remaining in the pan coat each sprout evenly. Add the chicken stock and mix the sprouts again.

3. Cover the pan and let the sprouts cook until you can easily press the tip of a knife into the middle of one of them. This should take about 5-10 minutes, depending on the size of your sprouts.

4. Chop the bacon and add this and the walnuts into the pan. Mix to combine.

5. Serve and enjoy!

Just one taste and I bet you will enjoy the brussell sprouts cooked and served this way. And not just because of the bacon, but the bacon doesn't hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment