Monday 13 June 2011

You're So Crunchy Granola

Crunchy granola -- A person who is very healthy, very green, most likely vegetarian, supports Green Peace and other environmental anti war movements.

This is only one definition though. There's also a second definition of a delicious and equally healthy breakfast food.

But before we get into the second definition, let's spend a moment on the reason I decided to start this blog -- my book.

I'm not ready to share the first chapter just yet, but I am ready to tell you about one of the characters that has become my favourite.

She's not the main heroine and I didn't start writing her as my favourite, but somehow she twisted her fate and became that way.

April Gold is the sister of the main character and she is the epitome of crunchy granola, minus the vegetarian bit.

She meditates, does yoga, burns sandalwood candles, loves horoscopes and tie dye, and somehow I grew to love her.

I am not sure how this came to be, because I don't love any of those things, but I love her all the same.

I think it's because when I write about her, the words just flow and she makes me laugh. She's brassy and opinionated. She's sure of herself and definitely wears the pants in relationships. And, she's smarter than you think she is.

April's role in my book is smaller than I would have liked it to be after I got to know her, but maybe I'll write a second one and she'll grow into something bigger.

I have so many ideas that I think even if only a few close friends read my words, I'll want to do it.

But now onto another type of crunchy granola. The edible kind.

I love eating granola and yogurt for breakfast because it fills me up, tastes great, and it's really healthy.

The only thing I don't love about granola is that buying it is so expensive! You get enough for a few bowls and you pay enough to think that someone else is going to do your dishes.

So I thought about it and realized that I should make it. I make oatmeal all the time, so I'll just throw everything I use in my oatmeal into my granola.

It's so easy, I don't know why I didn't start making it long ago!




Crunchy Granola

3 cups quick oats
1/2 cup table syrup
1/8 cup oil
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup peanuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine oats, syrup, oil, cinnamon, and salt on a cookie sheet. Mix until oats form big chunky clusters.

3. Bake for about 10 minutes or until it starts to brown. I know mine is done when I can start to smell the cinnamon.

4. Remove from oven. Let cool and add raisins, cranberries, and peanuts.

Luke tried my granola by itself and didn't like it as much as I do, but I convinced him to try it again with yogurt on top. I bet he'll love it with the added sweetness and moisture as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment