Sunday 19 June 2011

Popsicles for Pop's Day

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

Eat, drink, relax, and enjoy your day because you deserve it!

My step dad George is pretty great, maybe even one of the best. He's hard working and took on four kids when he married my mom without hesitation.

At least I don't think there was much hesitation...

Through all the time I've known George, he's done more for me than a lot of step father's choose to do and I appreciate him. 

He's gone shopping with me, taken me to meet his friends at his cottage, cooked for me (maybe that wasn't the biggest treat...), and listened to me when I needed help.


So in honor of George on Father's Day, or Pop's Day, I decided to whip up some yummy popsicles. 

I just finished my last one, but thankfully I have enough ingredients to make another batch!

Blueberry Almond Cream - Pops

1 cup frozen wild blueberries 
1/4 cup whipped cream and 1/2 cup plain yogurt (or 3/4 cup of plain yogurt)
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice 
1 teaspoon pure almond extract 

1. Combine blueberries, whipped cream, yogurt, lemon juice, almond extract, and sugar in a large bowl and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. 

2. You could choose to put your popsicle mixture through a sieve, but I like keeping the blueberry skins. I think it gives the treats extra texture, colour, and flavour. I just used a small ladle and poured my mixture into moulds as is. 

3. Next, just put your moulds into your freezer and freeze for about 3 hours or until solid. 

4. Once frozen, run your moulds under warm water to loosen your treats and enjoy!

My recipe made about 2 cups of liquid and as my moulds hold 1/4 cup each, I got to enjoy eight frozen treats. 

I was inspired by a recipe in the June 2011 Bon Appetit magazine for these cool treats, but I think I might have topped their creations.

At least to my palate, let me know about yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment