Tuesday 28 June 2011

Crispy Crunch

If you thought this post was going to be about a chocolate bar, think again. Because as much as I love sweets, I have to say that I enjoy savoury food more.

Chips are savoury right? :)

But chips aside, I really do love savoury food more than sweets. My body calls out for veggies and fruit if I haven't eaten enough. The smell of baked goods in the oven is mouth watering, but the smell of a roast is equally tempting. And if I had to pick my last meal, while it may involve dessert, the focus would be on the savoury side of things.

Plus, I try to as healthy as I can and still enjoy everything I eat, so it can't hurt that most of the time, savoury foods in equal quantities of sweet food is much healthier.

So I'll let you be the judge. If you had the choice, would you take a second helping of this crispy, crunchy fish dish, or would you opt for a plate of dessert after your first plate?


Crispy Crunch Fish

4 fillets of fresh basa, or other thick white fish (If you're using frozen fish, make sure it is completely defrosted first or the crispy coating will not stick to the fish)
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
2 eggs
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh oregano

1. Mix together flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Coat fish evenly in the mixture on both sides.

2. Beat your eggs in a shallow dish and evenly dip flour coated fish into the eggs on both sides.

3. Pour bread crumbs into the dish the flour was in. It doesn't matter if there is still flour in it, that will just provide extra flavour. Coat fish evenly in bread crumbs.

4. Heat olive oil in a pan on your stove at medium low heat and once olive oil is warm, place fish gently in the pan.

5. The fish will take about 5 - 7 minutes to brown on the first side. After the fish has browned, flip the fish and allow it to finish cooking, about another 5 - 7 minutes.

6. Sprinkle with fresh oregano and enjoy!

And don't you find it a bit ironic that I am enjoying a sweet dessert right now as I type out my love for savoury food? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment