Monday 22 July 2013

Picnic with A Punch

Dill hasn't always been one of my go-to herbs. It packs a big punch and I usually only like it in a pickle form. But today dill has a starring role in the dish I'm showing you and I have to say that the flavour it brought to my salad was amazing. 

I don't know if dill will continue to star in a lot of dishes I make, but I do know that my Roasted Beet and Lentil Salad wouldn't have been the same without it. I think it would be perfect for a picnic or for night relaxing on your back porch.  

So here's to dill and a salad that dill helped to make dill-icious! Read on for the yummy recipe! 


Roasted Beet and Lentil Salad - serves 4

5 large beets, peeled and cubed
1 cup dry green lentils
4 radishes, thinly sliced and then cut into thin strips
1/3 cup fresh dill, finely chopped and divided
4 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Start by roasting your beets. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss beets with 1 tablespoon of the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes or until beets become soft and slightly crispy.

2. Meanwhile, cook lentils in salted water or veggie stock until soft, about 20-30 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid from the lentils.

3. Next prepare your salad dressing. Whisk together remaining oil, lime juice, honey, mustard, 1/4 cup dill, and green onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. Combine beets, lentils, radishes, and salad dressing. Toss to cover all ingredients with dressing.

5. Serve with a pinch of the remaining dill on top and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I've got some amazing fresh dill in the fridge right now. and beets. I'm totally making this tomorrow! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it! My family has already asked for it again. :)

    ReplyDelete