Friday 8 June 2012

Stir "Fry-Day"

Usually I take the easy way out with veggies and don't do a lot to them. Veggies are easy to steam or grill and you really don't need to do a lot to them to make them taste great. 

But once and awhile I decide that just doing the basics to veggies isn't enough. Sometimes I want to make veggies the stand out piece of my meal so I want to keep eating them forever. 

Recently I went to a Thai cooking class and, surprisingly, this veggie dish was one of my stand out favourites. When I think of Thai cooking, I usually think Thai curries or noodle dishes, but now I will think of this dish too. 

So put away your steamer tonight and try this stir fried Thai veggie side dish. I've changed the recipe a little from the one I learned at my cooking class and I know you'll love it!

I know my brother, Steve, would love it too. And it's his birthday today. Wish I was there to celebrate with you!

Miso Garlic Asian Greens- serves four

1 1/2 pounds of green leafy veggies, any kind of veggie will work but I think ones with a stem and leaves or florets are best (broccoli, rapini, kale or any Asian veggies are great choices. I used Gai Lan, an Asian kale)
2 tablespoons oil
8 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 - 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon miso paste
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon each of vinegar and brown sugar

1. Combine the fish sauce, miso, water, vinegar, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Set aside. 

2. Wash the veggies and separate the leaves or florets from the stems. Cut the stems into small bite sized pieces.  

3. Add oil, garlic, and chili flakes to a large frying pan at medium heat and cook until the garlic starts to brown slightly, about 1 minute. 

4. Add the stems to the pan and stir to coat them in the spicy garlic mixture. Cook another few minutes to soften the stems. 

5. Add the leaves or florets and stir to coat them in the spicy garlic again. Now add in the miso mixture and stir to combine again. 

6. Cook until the veggie leaves begin wilt, or until the veggies are cooked to your liking, and enjoy!

I know you'll think you have way too many veggies if you use something leafy, but trust me - they cook down! And even if you have leftovers, you'll be happy because they taste great the next day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment