Friday 13 April 2012

The Best Leftovers Ever

Sometimes an idea just hits me and I wish I had come up with it years ago because it’s just that good. Usually those great ideas don’t have the word “leftover” in them, but this one not only has the word “leftover” in it, but it also may top the list of savoury treats I’ve come created.

This leftover ham recipe is a riff off something that you may have already seen on my blog. In fact, I actually won 4 litres of milk for a year from Island Farms with the original recipe!

So since I have already won a prize with a variation of this recipe, I know it’s off to a good start. And by adding ham and cheese into the mix, I had a good feeling that the recipe would be a winner.

I think I was right and this snack really is a winner, what do you think?


Mile High Ham and Cheese Biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup ham, finely chopped
2/3 cup Cheddar cheese, finely chopped

1. Start by preheating your oven to 450 degrees.

2. Then combine your flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt with a whisk in a large bowl.

3. Next cut in your shortening.

4. Combine your egg and buttermilk in a small bowl and then add this to your flour mixture with the cheese and ham.

5. Stir the dough together and then empty your dough onto a floured countertop and knead about 10 times.

6. Form your dough into a long rectangle and cut it into 16 even pieces.

7. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes or until the biscuits rise a mile high and begin to turn brown.

Some of the cheese will leak out of the biscuits while they are baking, but it'll harden as it cools and seeing the cheese leaking out only add to the drool factor for me. 

Also, since I posted this recipe on Friday the 13th, I think it might even be bad luck not to try it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment