Thursday 14 August 2014

Ribbons of Happiness

My mom rarely let's me buy her anything, so when she let me buy her a spiralizer, I knew it must be something she really wanted. To me it just looked like another one use kitchen gadget, the kind that you keep in your cupboard to collect dust until you finally have that urge to pull it out and do that one thing it does.

I might sound a wee bit like an infomercial, but it does so much more than one thing. And it's so much fun to use too!

I have spiralizer so many fruits and veggies for salads, cooked my spiralized ribbons, and fried them too. I now love my spiralizer and use it often. So it's time for me to share another delicious recipe that can be made with a spiralizer or even just with a grater, a mandoline, or some crafty knife work. Your choice.

Summer Squash Slaw with Feta and Green Onion - serves 4

2 medium yellow zucchinis or summer squashes, spiralized (or grated or finely sliced into matchsticks)
4 green onions, finely chopped
1/3 cup feta, crumbed
1/4 cup mint, torn
1/4 cup sliced almonds 
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
Salt, to taste 

1. Start by whisking together the oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt to make a quick dressing. Do this directly in a large bowl so you can just add all the remaining ingredients to the dressing. 

2. Next add the squash ribbons, green onions, feta, mint, and almonds. Toss to combine and enjoy. 

Pretty easy right? Perfect for my mom on her birthday tonight. But if I know her, she's going to choose a bacon cheeseburger for dinner tonight instead!

Happy Birthday, Momma! I hope it was your best yet. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment