I dabbled with ideas of what to make this month, coming up with recipes I thought were unique like Gnocchi with Beet Greens and Fried Shallots or Tie Dye Devilled Eggs, but I was craving to bake and I really wanted to eat chocolate cake.
So, in the end, I decided to revamp one of my favourite recipes and make it beet-friendly. I think it turned out earthy and amazing. Read on for my Beet-iful Chocolate Brownies and check out everyone else's recipe too!
Beet-iful Chocolate Brownies - serves 12-16
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups flour
2 cups puréed beets (just pulse canned or peeled and boiled beets in your blender or food processor until smooth)
1 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, cream the 1 1/2 cups sugar with the butter and then add the eggs. Mix in.
3. In a separate bowl, sift the cocoa, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and flour.
4. Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine. Then add half the beets to the butter mixture and stir to combine. Repeat so that all the flour and all the beets are added to the butter mixture.
5. Grease a large spring form pan or a 8 x 10 inch baking dish. Pour all the batter into the baking dish in an even layer and smooth the top.
6. Sprinkle the top of the brownie batter with the chocolate chips and the 2 tablespoons sugar and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out the middle of the brownies clean.