I am so grateful for hot summer days this year, but the hot summer nights I could use a little less of. To counteract feeling a little too warm during hot summer nights I do one of two things - I either eat cool salads or spicy hot foods.
Cool salads seem to be eaten a little more frequently in house, just because they're easy and there's no cooking involved, so today I'm sharing a spicy dish. It's not too much work, but it looks impressive. And you can as much heat as you like, depending on how hot it is outside or how hot you like you food.
Ready for a mouthful of happiness? Read on for my Creole Bay Scallops and Rice.
Creole Bay Scallops and Rice - serves 4
large tomatoes, diced
1 lb bay scallops, frozen
4 garlic cloves, minced
large onion, chopped
green pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons thyme
Hot sauce, to taste
Basil, torn for garnish
Salt, to taste
1. Add butter to pan along with flour. Whisk to mix.
2. Stir in garlic, onion, pepper, tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaves. Stir to mix and cook until tomatoes begin to break down and onions cook through, about 8 minutes.
3. Add frozen scallops and cook until just warm in the centre, about 5-8 more minutes. The liquid from the scallops will make the sauce for the dish.
4. Next, remove the bay leaves and add hot sauce and salt to taste.
5. Serve creole bay scallops with rice and garish with basil, or whatever herbs you prefer.