Monday 3 February 2014

Soup for On-Terrible Weather

I just arrived back home after a visit to see my family in Halifax and Ontario. I had a great time seeing everyone, but I am not sure if I'm built for such a cold climate anymore. I did love seeing my family, skiing, bundling up and walking the dog on the ice, and of course the warm home cooked meals - but I couldn't get over the cold!

And since the best part of my visit, seeing my family, is something I could do anytime of the year - I think I might be making future trips home in the summer! 

If you're looking for a warm, home cooked meal to make for your family, try my version of Chatelaine's Leek and and Fennel Soup with Poached Haddock. My version is a littler healthier and easier to make, plus I've found a great use for my preserved lemon! 

Leek and Fennel Soup with Haddock - serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 leeks (white parts only), chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 fennel bulb, chopped, fronds reserved
4 cups vegetable broth
2 pieces of preserved lemon, flesh discarded and skin minced
4 fillets of haddock, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted and broken down with a mortar and pestle 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped 
2 teaspoon lemon juice

1. Cook garlic, fennel, and leeks in the oil until tender, about 5 minutes. 

2. Add vegetable broth, preserved lemon, fish, and fennel seeds and continue to cook another 8-12 minutes or until fish is cooked through. 

3. Add salt, coconut milk, parsley, and lemon juice. Stir and season to taste. 

4. Ladle into bowls and garnish with fennel fronds. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment