Tuesday 18 February 2014

Birthday Wishes

I love birthday cakes. It doesn't matter who's birthday cake it is, as long as I get a taste of it, I love it. Chocolate, vanilla, ice cream, angel food, chiffon, boxed or home made - it doesn't matter. Birthday cakes are made with loving thoughts of that one special person and I know that I taste those thoughts when I am eating each and every bite.

Today is my sister's birthday and while we celebrated each other's birthdays (mine was just a few days ago) together last month, it sure would be great if I got to bake her a cake today. Instead I hope that this post containing a yummy little lemon cake will do. I know that whoever bakes her a cake will thinking all the loving thoughts I would have thought so it will be fantastic.

Happy birthday, Mary. I hope your day is great today!

Mini Lemon Cakes - makes 6-8

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon lemon zest - I used dried lemon zest from the Bulk Barn
3/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup milk
Strawberries, poached or powdered sugar, optional for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cream butter and sugar. Then add the egg and lemon zest. Set aside.

3. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture followed by half of the milk. Repeat to add the remaining flour mixture and milk.

4. Stir in the lemon juice. It's ok if the mixture looks a little curdled. It will bake fine.

5. Spoon the batter into 6-8 muffin tins or other baking containers. I used small rose moulds. Bake for about 12-16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked into the centre.

6. Let the cakes cool and then garnish with powdered sugar or poached berries. Enjoy!

Do you like the bowls my cake is served in? There is a set of four included in a giveaway on Delish in a Dish right now. Head over to the post to enter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment