Wednesday 24 April 2013

Teri-yummy

Teriyaki sauce is delicious, but I don't like to buy a lot of bottled sauces because of the high sodium content. I like the way they taste as I'm eating them, but I feel so parched afterwards that I have to drink about a gallon of water to quench my thirst. 

This version of teriyaki sauce is easy to make and, if you use low sodium soy sauce, it's not so bad for you. I still wouldn't eat it every night, but I wouldn't have a slab of chocolate cake every night either. 

Read on for the quick and tasty recipe. I especially love serving it with grilled salmon, but I know it would be great with chicken too!

Teriyaki Sauce - serves 4 - 6

1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce 
1/4 cup brown sugar 
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or very finely chopped 
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped with whites and greens separated 
4 fillets of salmon or 4 chicken breasts, cooked 

1. In a small pot on the stove, combine soy, sugar, ginger, and green onion whites. Cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce begins to reduce and thicken, about 5-10 minutes. 

2. Spoon sauce over salmon or chicken and sprinkle green onion greens overtop. Enjoy! 

I love this for a quick weeknight meal with a salad. There's hardly any cleanup at all, especially if you grill the fish in the BBQ! 



No comments:

Post a Comment