Is it fusion when I use Nutella in a German Chocolate Cake? I like to think so.
Nutella is Italian and the popular German Chocolate Cake is surprisingly not German, but American. It's named after the American chocolate maker, Sam German, who developed the dark baking chocolate used in the delicious cake. None the less, the two come from entirely different areas of the world and I think that this makes it fusion.
I also like to think that this version of a German Chocolate Cake is so yummy that it could become as famous as the original.
1/2 cup dark baking chocolate, I use the discs in the bulk section
3/4 cup boiling water
2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon each of baking soda and salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup milk
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 cup toasted and chopped hazelnuts
About 1/2 cup Nutella, purchased or homemade
Additional 1/3 cup toasted whole hazelnuts for garnish
1. Start by making your cake. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line two cake pans with parchment paper.
2. Combine chocolate and boiling water. Whisk to dissolve, it's ok if the mixture is grainy.
3. Next sift the dry ingredients in one bowl and blend the brown sugar, milk, yogurt, and eggs together in another large bowl. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Pour in the chocolate mixture next and stir again. The mixture will be very wet.
4. Divide mixture between the two pans and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the centre of a cake clean. Allow cakes to cool before putting the topping on.
5. While cakes are cooling, make the topping. Combine egg yolks, butter, and sweetened condensed milk in a pan at low heat. Stir until mixture is bubbly, about 2-5 minutes. Remove from heat and quickly stir in hazelnuts and coconut.
6. Set one layer cake on a plate and top with half of the topping. Put the other layer of cake on next, followed by the other half of topping. Decorate top with whole hazelnuts, if desired. Warm Nutella in your microwave for 30 seconds or so so that it is liquid. Use a fork to flick Nutella over cake.
7. Serve with a big glass of milk and enjoy!