Tuesday 16 April 2013

Dairy Queen Memories

My sister and I have birthdays five days apart and Valentine's Day falls in between them. This means that there are always lots of heart shaped chocolates, cakes, and candies available for our birthdays.

As little girls, we both couldn't get enough of the heart shaped Dairy Queen Blizzard cakes and my mom would always buy us each one for our birthday parties. Of course, with our birthdays so close together, neither cake would be finished and the leftovers would be tucked away in the freezer for a sunny day. 

Summer would come along and we'd finally remember about our cakes and eagerly pull them out to be enjoyed by the pool. These are some of my favourite memories from my childhood and thinking about them is making me hungry for Dairy Queen again. 

Luckily, General Mills, Dairy Queen, and Orange Julius are partnering up right now and with each specially marked box of General Mills cereal you buy, there will be coupons for one free small Blizzard treat and one free small Orange Julius.

You can redeem your Blizzard coupons at any participating Dairy Queen during the month of May and you can redeem your Orange Julius coupon at any participating Dairy Queen from April 1 - July 31, 2013. 

And incase you're like me and can't wait to enjoy your DQ before May begins, here's my version of Dairy Queen Buster Bar that you can make yourself. I think of it as a great appetizer before redeeming my many Blizzard coupons next month!

Homemade Buster Bar - makes 4-8 (depending on the size of your Popsicle moulds)

3/4 cup Greek vanilla yogurt 
1/4 cup cream cheese 
Or 
1 cup vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup chocolate sauce 
1/4 cup chopped peanuts 

1. If using yogurt and cream cheese, in a blender, pulse yogurt and cream cheese until blended. I think this makes the yogurt taste more like soft serve ice cream, but it's still pretty healthy. 

2. Scoop a little ice cream or a little yogurt mixture into the bottoms of four Popsicle moulds. Only fill the moulds about 1/4 full as youll have three layers of ice cream / yogurt total. Top with a couple chopped peanuts and a small spoon of chocolate sauce. Repeat so you have another layer of ice cream / yogurt, another layer of nuts and chocolate, and a final layer of ice cream / yogurt. 

3. Stick Popsicle sticks in each mould and freeze for a minimum of two hours or until moulds are solid. 

4. Run moulds under a little warm water to loosen and enjoy. 

Dairy Queen Buster Bars are chocolate covered, so you could attempt to pour chocolate over them, but I think these are just fine as they are. Next time I might try hazelnuts and Nutella in place of the peanuts and chocolate sauce, or maybe next time it will be May and I will redeem a coupon at DQ for a Blizzard! 

 “Disclosure – I am participating in the Life Made Delicious Ambassador Program by Mom Central Canada on behalf of General Mills. I received compensation as a thank you for participating and for sharing my honest opinion. The opinions on this blog are my own.”

No comments:

Post a Comment