Monday 26 November 2012

Winter Warm Up

I know it's technically still fall, but I am excited about the upcoming holidays. And since I am getting my Christmas tree this weekend, I think it's ok to call the season winter. 

To me winter means frozen cold and, in true winter fashion, I had a brain freeze and discovered something about my slow cooker that I did not like. My brain freeze involved not defrosting my chicken all the way through before I put it into my slow cooker. My discovery was that my slow cooker does not cook ingredients in the middle of the slow cooker as quickly as it cooks ingredients at the edge of my slow cooker. 

Now I will only make this recipe with leftover chicken or turkey. The sauce is delicious and I won't ever feel nervous about eating meat from the middle of slow cooker!

Butter Chicken / Turkey - serves 6 - 8

2 medium onions, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons ginger, grated
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon each of coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin
1 pinch of salt and pepper
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup peanut butter
5 cups pre-cooked chicken or turkey, diced
2 cups frozen peas
1 cup Green yogurt
Brown rice, to serve

1. Combine all ingredients except for meat, peas, and yogurt in a slow cooker. Turn on low for 6-8 hours.

2. Puree sauce with an immersion blender and add in peas and chicken to warm.

3. When sauce, peas, and meat is warmed, stir in yogurt and serve over brown rice. Enjoy!

Who wouldn't like this meal on a chilly night? I know I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment