I truly believe that some of my best dinners are made from leftovers, particularly turkey leftovers. And tonight's dinner is no exception. In fact, it may be one of my best leftover dinners ever!
Today's recipe is my new version of a turkey pot pie, but the presentation is a little fancier with a lattice braided puff pastry topper. All you need to do is throw together leftover bites of turkey, leftover veggies, leftover gravy, and heat it before topping your meal with a piece of pastry. Yum!
Read on to find out my recipe.
Latticed Topped Turkey Pot Pie - serves 5-6
1 sheet of puff pastry, defrosted
2 cups of leftover turkey, cut into bite sized pieces
3 cups of leftover veggies, cut into bite sized pieces (carrots, sweet potato, green beans, cauliflower, or whatever veggies you like)
2 cups of leftover gravy
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Roll puff pastry out into a thin rectangular sheet and cut the sheet into ten long, even strips. Line a cookie sheet with half of the strips. Cut the remaining five strips in half so you have ten shorter strips.
3. Pull back the ends of the second and fourth strips on the cookie sheet and place one of the shorter strips on top of the three strips not pulled back. Pull back the two strips of pastry over top of the short strip.
4. Now pull the first, third, and fifth long strips of pastry over the short strip of pastry and place a second short strip of pastry next to the first short strip of pastry.
6. Bake the pastry for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry turns golden brown.
7. While the pastry is cooking, combine the turkey, veggies, and gravy and warm everything either in the oven or in the microwave.
8. When the pastry comes out of the oven, cut it into 5-6 pieces. Serve a piece of pastry on top of a spoon of the warmed turkey mixture. and enjoy.
You can also use this technique for dessert. I think I am going to try that soon, I'll let you know how it goes!