Monday 19 November 2012

The Big Cheese

Before a few days ago, I hadn't eaten a cheesy cauliflower dish in such a long time. It had been so long that I thought I wouldn't even like it. I thought that cheesy cauliflower was a way to get kids to eat their veggies and adults would always prefer steamed or an Oven Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower instead.

I was wrong. And I don't know why I am surprised, I love cheese. 

Today's recipe is not a pour-microwaved-cheese-whiz-on-it kind of recipe, it does take a little more work, but the taste is leaps and bounds better than it's red necked cousin. Read on if you like what you see below.

Cheesy Baked Cauliflower - serves 4

1 medium head of cauliflower, trimmed into small florets
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup of grated Cheddar cheese
1 pinch of salt and pepper
1/3 cup of Panko bread crumbs
2 teaspoons dried sage

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Make your cheese sauce. Melt butter in a medium pot on your stove at medium heat, then stir in the flour. Once a paste forms, gradually whisk in your milk and let your sauce bubble and thicken. Stir in your cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Lay cauliflower in an even layer in a baking dish and pour cheese sauce over top. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and sage.

4. Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender.

5. Spoon onto plates and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment