Tuesday 25 September 2012

Dino-mite Side

When I head to a Farmer's Market, I feel like a kid heading to a candy store. I never know exactly what will be there but I know I am going to find a few treats to take home with me. And I know I am going love each and every treat!

Farmer's Markets make me feel happy because I get to support local farmers, I get to take home beautiful, fresh produce, and I find new types of produce that my grocery store doesn't carry. It's basically a no-lose situation!

The last time I was at a Farmer's Market I discovered a new to me type of kale. The stalks in the middles were almost non-existant and that meant less work in preparing my side dish. Plus the leaves looked cool, like a scaly dinosaur. Little did I know, but the kale is actually called Dino Kale! 

Ready to cook, I headed home and made an easy side that made me smile as much as I did at the Farmer's Market. 

Dino Kale - Serves 4 

1 large bunch of Dino Kale, or another kale with the tough inner stalks removed
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter 
1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar

1. Melt butter in a frying pan on your stove at medium heat and add the minced garlic. Allow garlic to cook about 30-60 seconds or until you can start to smell it. 

2. While butter and garlic are cooking, slice your kale into one inch thick ribbons. 

3. When your garlic is starting to cook, add the kale to the pan and toss it so that the butter coats each piece. Cook until the kale begins to wilt, about 5 - 7 minutes, depending on if you have large or small leaves. 

4. When kale begins to wilt, add in the vinegar and toss to combine.

5. Serve and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment