Tuesday 18 September 2012

Hip Hip Brulee!

I love dessert and, if possible, I would enjoy a chocolate brownie, a piece of pie, a slab of cake, or a bowl of ice cream every single night. But unfortunately all my pants seem to keep shrinking in the wash and I can't imagine the thought of replacing my whole wardrobe, so I need to cut back on the calorie filled treats. 

Noticed I didn't say cut back on desserts? That's because there are so many delectable low fat creations that I don't need to resort to a sad and sweetless life. I just need to choose my desserts a little more carefully. 

This recipe for Creme Brulee is not what you're used to. It's not a high fat cream filled dish at all. It's a low fat dessert that's made with skim milk! And because I served it with berries, I think it's got an extra edge of being healthy. 

Ready for the recipe? I know you'll be singing hip hip brulee after just one bite, especially when you hear each serving has only 150 calories!

Low Fat Creme Brulee - serve 6

2 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons non-fat dry milk powder (I used coconut milk powder because the regular milk powders came in very large containers. I found coconut milk powder in the same location as dry milk powder and coconut milk at my grocery store.)
4 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar, for the tops (I used less, but you can use as much or as little as you like)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Beat half cup milk with the dry milk powder until combined. Beat in remaining milk, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until well combined.

3. Divide mixture between six ramekins and place the ramekins in a large baking dish filled with water. The water should reach about half way up the ramekins.

4. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the custard is set at the edges and a little loose in the centre. Remove from the oven and leave in the water bath until cool. Cool in the fridge for another hour or two or overnight.

5. When ready to serve, sprinkle sugar on top of each ramekin of custard and use a small hand torch to brulee or place ramekins until the broiler in your oven until the sugar melts.

6. Serve with fresh berries and enjoy!

Most full fat creme brulees have at least double the calorie count of these! Could you tell the difference between these desserts and the full fat cousin?

No comments:

Post a Comment