Thursday 5 July 2012

Mole Mole Mole

 Whenever I hear someone talk about mole sauce, two things come to mind. I think how weird it must be to eat a tomato-chocolate sauce for dinner and also the ABBA song Money Money Money.

After trying mole sauce for the first time, I no longer think eating tomato-chocolate sauce for dinner is weird. I think it's weird that I've never tried it before!

But I still think of ABBA's song. Mole and money just sound too similar to me! But since it makes me smile to think of ABBA, I'm happy.

I'm also happy to share this recipe. But don't be worried because it's inexpensive to make; you don't need to live in a rich man's world to enjoy it!

Easy Chicken Mole - serves 6

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 can of chopped tomatoes, 28 oz
2 medium chilis, chopped (seeds in if you like spicy or out if you don't)
1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon cilantro, plus extra for garnish
2 avocados, sliced for garnish
2 limes, for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
6 medium chicken breasts, fully cooked and sliced
Brown rice
6 chicken breasts

1. Heat oil in a pot and add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is soft, about 3-5 minutes.

2. Add in cumin and cinnamon and stir.

3. Add tomatoes (juice and all) and chilies and cook for about 10 minutes with the lid covered.

4. Stir in chocolate, tahini, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove form the heat after the chocolate has melted and use an immersion blender to puree your sauce.

5. Serve over brown rice and top with sliced chicken breast, avocados, lime quarters, and cilantro.

Mole, mole, mole - you'd think it'd be funny. But it's just good!

No comments:

Post a Comment